We all know that the GDPR deadline is fast approaching so here’s some useful information…
What is the GDPR?
The GDPR is Europe’s new framework for data protection laws. It replaces the previous 1995 data protection directive, which current UK law is based upon.
Why the change?
There are two main reasons behind the introduction of GDPR.
The regulation is designed to bring data protection legislation in line with the ever changing ways that data is used, for example the way that companies such as Google and Facebook now swap access to their customers’ data in exchange for their services.
By introducing a clear, uniform legal realm in which businesses must operate, the EU aims to make data protection identical through the whole of the single market.
What are my next steps?
- The best thing to do is to start preparing for the implementation of GDPR as soon as possible:
- Check your existing policies and provisions and, if necessary, instruct a data protection officer
- Ascertain which policies you need to update or adopt, in order to meet compliance law
- Ensure you train your staff to meet the new requirements
- If you work with any third parties who classify as processors, check their data policies comply with the new regulations
Contrac understand that getting GDPR compliant can seem a daunting task that’s why we are on hand to help.
Get in touch with our team of experts and we’ll help guide you through the process